The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons within the University for the position of Assistive Technology Manager.
POSITION: ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY MANAGER
REPORTING TO: DEPUTY CHIEF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY OFFICER, IT SERVICES
SUPERVISES: Assistive Technology Support Staff
To work to provide operational support in the planning, implementation and demonstration of diverse assistive technologies and to create the needed awareness and assist students, faculty and staff with special needs to perform their normal duties for the overall achievement of the objectives of the University
• The incumbent recommends, evaluates, installs and maintains assistive technologies on campus.
• The AT Manager is primarily responsible for determining appropriate technologies to assist students with disabilities including sensory (hearing and vision), and upper-body mobility impairments.
• The incumbent trains individual students with disabilities in the use of appropriate AT and how to adapt their learning strategies to make optimal use of technology. This position advises colleagues and technology partners regarding the accessibility of websites, hardware, and software systems.
• Assists in the development of policies and procedures related to accessibility and assistive technology.
• Carry out performance assessments to determine the skills gaps between current and desirable learner skill levels;
• Design training programs appropriate to the skills needed;
• Ensure the learning environment and resources support teaching and learner needs;
• Maintaining appropriate records of learner development and resource allocation.
• Initiate new ICT programs.
• Assist in setting exam questions and marking of scripts on Assistive Technology.
• Design, develop and organise IT training programs for students and staff of the University in the usage of Assistive Technologies
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and:
• Have a Master’s degree related to technology, higher education, or teaching
• minimum of six (6) years of related professional experience, preferably in a tertiary setting
• Professional certification in Management Information Systems, is an advantage.
Required knowledge, and skills and Attitude:
• Team player with energy, enthusiasm and perseverance with the ability to promote and maintain the highest standards in all aspects of the work.
• Very good organisational skills, encouraging positive collaborative working practices.
• Good communication skills, showing sensitivity and strength.
• Mentoring and coaching skills, showing ability to be both constructive and critical.
• Ability and skills to manage change.
• Successful experience of teaching across the age and ability range.
• The ability to build good relationships with all students and adults
• Hands-on usability expertise in various assistive software technologies
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot AT-related software and specialized AT-related computer hardware
• Demonstrated knowledge in various assistive hardware
• Knowledge of how assistive technology is useful for people with and without disabilities in an educational setting
• Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
• Requires high degree of initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
• This position requires well-developed written and oral communication and interpersonal skills; analytical, project management, organizational and problem-solving ability
How To Apply For The Job
An applicant is required to submit the complete application pack to the
University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25,
(Hard copy); or
[email protected] (Soft copy). The application pack should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional employees (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website at: www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd;
• An up to date Curriculum Vitae;
• Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates; and,
• Two reference letters, at least one of which should be from a Head of Unit in the University of Ghana, with whom the applicant has worked.
The reference letters should, among others, include the following information on the candidate:
• Professional competence and work output
• Leadership abilities and sense of responsibility.
• General Contribution to the work of the University (or relevant organization)
• Interpersonal skills
• Any other relevant information
In compliance with COVID-19 protocols, we encourage all applicants to submit soft copies of their application packs to the Registrar through the approved email address.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to participate in a selection process.
Closing Date: 23 November, 2020