The Institutional Relations Associate/Manager is responsible for leading a pipeline of institutional funding opportunities and relationships, with a priority focus on Sub-Saharan Africa. Funding activities will be focused across Grameen’s core program areas of digital agriculture and digital financial services, as well as women’s economic empowerment more broadly. The Associate/Manager will be based from one of Grameen’s offices, either in Washington, DC or in Accra, or Nairobi, as a full-time hire.
The Associate/Manager will coordinate efforts across regional program and technical solutions teams and ensure successful submission of well-written, high-quality, competitive proposals to institutional funders including USAID, other bi-lateral / multilateral donors, and corporate and professional foundations. The role involves cultivating business intelligence, attending external events, networking, and coordinating and facilitating meetings. The Associate/Manager will also build a pipeline of new funding opportunities, by consistently following the opportunity lifecycle, leading writing efforts on proposals/concept notes and other materials, coordinating budget inputs and other application materials, developing written correspondence, and managing database accounts.
Job Title: Associate or Manager, Institutional Relations
The position requires a candidate who is highly proactive, with a strong work ethic, professional demeanor and customer service mentality, who truly enjoys writing, meeting new people and facilitating teamwork.
The decision about whether the role will be a Manager or an Associate will be determined by the following:
– Manager candidates MUST HAVE at least 7-10 years of relevant experience and can demonstrate they have achieved significant results in similar roles.
– Associate candidates must have 3-5 years of relevant experiences and can demonstrate related competencies.
Reporting and relationships: The Associate/Manager, Institutional Relations will report to the Senior Director, Institutional Relations.
Availability and Travel: This position is exempt and will be expected to work 100% of a standard workweek of 40 hours. The Associate/Manager will follow Grameen Foundation’s safety and security protocol regarding the COVID-19 pandemic including location of work. The Associate/Manager may be required to travel domestically and/or internationally 1-2 trips/year.
● Conduct networking to develop relationships with institutional funders and partners based in Washington, DC or Sub-Saharan Africa. Expand list of contacts and enhance the organization’s knowledge of priorities, trends and opportunities regarding this donor base;
● Lead a robust pipeline of institutional funding opportunities ranging from early stage capture to full proposal development across Grameen’s core program areas of digital agriculture, digital financial services, and women’s economic empowerment;
● Work with technical and regional program (especially the Africa Regional Director) to research, track and follow up on business intelligence leading up to bid opportunities;
● Advance team effort on new opportunities through coordinating the opportunity lifecycle process, including research, brainstorming, partner outreach, design/development of the technical approach, writing and editing support, budgeting, application submission, and project handover;
● Proactively lead writing of pitch/strategy documents, concept notes, and proposals as well as meeting minutes, team updates, and other documentation;
● Maintain Salesforce record accuracy and timely updating, as well as other knowledge management tasks;
● Set up, attend and/or facilitate internal and external meetings/calls.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
● Solid understanding of the proposal development process and demonstrated success managing aspects of proposal development to institutional funders, including strategic partnership development;
○ Manager candidates: At least 7-10 years of experience in new business development within international development, preferably within agriculture, financial services, women’s empowerment or relevant field, with proven results in similar roles.
○ Associate candidates: At least 3-5 years of relevant experience and results
● Exceptional writing skills and fluent English language skills – A Must Have Requirement;
● Ambitious, self-directed with passion for winning combined with a willingness to learn and adjust;
● Experience developing at least 3-5 strategic partnerships;
● Experience developing at least 1 USG-funded proposal;
● Bachelors (or Masters) in international development, business, or a related field;
● Knowledge of and interest in digital agriculture, digital financial services, and/or women’s economic empowerment within international development contexts, especially in Sub-Saharan Africa;
● Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to independently lead complex processes;
● Strong interpersonal, communication (written and oral) and facilitation skills;
● Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work in a team in a highly dynamic environment to gather and synthesize information;
● Demonstrated experience and interest in working in a global/multicultural organization across multiple time zones;
● Professional and willing to serve others to ensure work is completed;
● Strong computer and database skills and comfort (Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Salesforce or other CRM);
● Deep commitment to eradication of poverty and gender equality in line with Grameen Foundation’s mission.
● Must be a resident of Washington, DC, Accra, Ghana or Nairobi, Kenya. Relocation assistance will not be provided.